Friday, March 8, 2013

My Fiber Arts Guild and Kimono Dressing

Jan Koster, Elizabeth Van Ark, Sue Vegter, and Alexa Urquhart
in summer cotton yukata with dresser, Mayumi Balfour
Mayumi Balfour with guild members
Wendy Rice and Marty Swank
Uchikake, Wedding Kimono
Etta Hesselink
My Lakeshore Fiber Arts Guild has been a big part of my life for the last 34 years.  Two years ago we had Etta Hesselink, a Holland resident who I've know for over 35 years and was a missionary in Japan with her husband for 20 years ---1950's-1970s), show us many of her kimono and obi from her vast collection.  Then, the following spring we had Mayumi Balfour from Grand Rapids visit the guild and dress a number of members in kimono and yukata (cotton summer kimono).  I have a kimono collection also and brought the pale kimono that Wendy Rice is wearing.  It looks so much better on her than on me... But what fun we had!

No comments:

Post a Comment