Monday, March 18, 2019

Arizona Images: Agave, Cacti and Landscape





Century Agave
I didn't have time to do a travel diary while in the Green Valley area, south of Tucson.  I was teaching a different workshop each day, standing up for almost 8 hours each day, and then in a car being driven around to see the sights.

I did take photos--- a lot of them and as many as I could without being intrusive or annoying to my hosts.

I was so amazed by the mountains as West Michigan is rather flat.  A drive up to Madera Canyon gave me a chance to photograph the mountains a little closer up.  I wish we could have gone as far as the observatory atop one of the peaks.

The cacti, though, amazed me the most.  So many kinds, close together in so many varieties.  The towering saguaros are probably the most imposing.  Towers of pale green with spines along the ribs can be interrupted with a bubble at the top or side, the beginning of a new "branch."  Birds are often sitting on top of the saguaro and don't fly away even if you walk by.
Saguaro Cacti
Dried inside of a saguaro cacti.

Purple Prickly Pear Cacti


Hole made by a bird for a nest on
a saguaro.
Old arch entrance to an adobe house.



Jumping cacti---- don't get close as
the spines are said to jump out like darts.

No comments:

Post a Comment